Aiglhof in Mülln

The Aiglhof is a chateaux that once served a local noble family as their residence. It can be found north of the Altstadt in the district of Mülln. Most people in Salzburg recognise the name rather because an early 20th century housing development in the area was named after the Aiglhof. The word "Aiglhof” has thus become a synonym for a neighbourhood.

The first time that the actual chateaux Aiglhof was mentioned in a written document was in the 14th century, when the local landlords of Kuchl sold the property to a man called Paul Köllerer in 1377. He gave it to his daughter and her husband, a man called Georg Aigl - thus the name. In 1511, the court chancellor purchased the Aiglhof, which was later damaged in the course of the peasant wars of 1525. It was sold again in 1588 and one more time in 1592. In the later instance to Prince Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau, who passed it on to various other people until the monastery of Stift St. Peter bought it in 1604. St. Peter is still the owner of the Aiglhof today.

Refurbishment of the Aiglhof & Construction of Aiglhofsiedlung

The abbot of St. Peter hired builders and artists to extend the facility between 1796 and 1799. The Aiglhof gained a chapel, which was equipped with an altar that contained an altar painting by the famous Austrian painter Martin Johann Schmidt, aka Kremser Schmidt. It depicts the encounter of Christ with St. Thomas. Today, the main building of the Aiglhof is used as a greenhouse facility of St. Peter.

The Aiglhof-Siedlung is a building project that was started in 1927. Due to the global recession and economic problems, the project was delayed repeatedly - despite of a pressing shortage in flats in Salzburg. After the end of WWI, many refuges from South Tyrol and Eastern European regions moved to Austria if they were of Germanic descent. In total, three settlements (Aiglhof I, II and III) were developed on what used to be the grounds of the old Aiglhof. The building project was completed in 1941 and gained some characteristics of army bases. Appropriately, the streets between the buildings were mostly named after Imperial Austrian generals and military leaders.

Hidden Treasures of Salzburg

Official Website of the gardening company Aiglhof
Salzburg Wiki in German on the Aiglhof

back to sightseeing