Vogelsangschlössl or Luegermayrschlössl Palace

The Vogelsangschlössl is a small chateaux in the south of Parsch, a district of Salzburg. In fact, Parsch is among the most expensive and exclusive areas of this city; this must have been the case for a while now, since the Vogelsangschlössl is not the only ancient chateaux in the area (note for example also the Schloss Flederbach).

The Vogelsangschlössl can be tracked back to the 16th century. Its core was probably developed to a leisure chateaux until the 17th century. The name means "little bird song palace" and refers to a meadow that was used for catching song birds to keep them indoors for entertainment during the winter. This was common practice all over the region; the meadow was first mentioned in 1570, extended into the area between Gaisberg and Kapuzinerberg and is referred to by other names as well. Note for example the Vogelweiderstraße ("bird meadow street").

The Vogelsangschlössl belonged to the Prince Archbishop; it had trick fountains like Hellbrunn or the Petersbrunnhof (on a much smaller scale, though). In the late 18th century, the property was inhabited by the family Daubrawa von Daubraweik, local nobility. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is recorded as a regular guest on their premises - which doesn′t mean too much, since he was a rather prolific character who played in every other house in Salzburg and far beyond. Note for a comparison also the Robinighof palace. Today, the Vogelsangschlössl is private property and not open to the general public.

Hidden Treasures of Salzburg


Salzburg Province on the Vogelsang Schlössl

back to sightseeing